My biggest goal with this blog is to be honest about life with and around Eddy. Sometimes it’s fun, sometimes it’s not, and sometimes there are related tangents to share. This is a tangent. It’s also very, very long and kind of a rant, so I don’t expect you to read it all.

DISCLAIMER: Just because I had a bad time doesn’t mean anyone should rule out this organization. Yes, they’re flawed but every group is. There’s no perfect rescue. And there are some pretty great horses at this one who deserve homes, even if the board is bound and determined to get in the way.

I’ve been in a love/hate relationship with the rescue I got Eddy from. I started volunteering there in 2011 and left the day Eddy came home. I served as a board member from December 2014 until May 2016. I ran their social media accounts and website (I still manage the website). But I am afraid I must finally leave for good.

Mostly it’s because of a new job and starting grad school. There won’t be any time between those and caring for Eddy and my own personal life to take on the work of  a nonprofit that should really be done by a professional PR person (I’m self taught, and between one seminar and several YouTube videos I’ve learned how to keep the page afloat, albeit not well. The slider bar thing at the top is down and I can’t fix it for love or money). But my departure is also because of fundamental disagreements with how the operate.

I refuse to lie to adopters.

I left the board because a couple members insisted on pushing a horse on a potential adopter that the adopter did not want to see, and they weren’t being very honest about it (More on that in a different post, perhaps later). And now they want me to be dishonest again. I’ve been back twice since taking Eddy home (Which almost didn’t happen because of said board, another post for another time). I only took pictures for the website since the pictures I was told I’d get never seem to show (Surprise surprise!). I get routine criticisms from them (Mostly petty stuff, of which I can be just as petty back. Also another story for another time). But today I received a message to update a horse’s bio. That horse happens to be the horse who almost killed Eddy last spring.


Duke came in last March, and one of the volunteers immediately decided to adopt him. They were waiting on a stall to open up, so while he was at the rescue (The first time) he went out with Eddy’s old herd, consisting of Rocky (Now in Eddy’s new herd), Kevin and Doyle. It didn’t take long for Rocky to come in super beat up, covered in bruises (One of which had a shoe print in it). His adopter was a volunteer as well, and was very concerned and asked what happened. The mother of the woman adopting Duke (Also a volunteer and the lady who took my spot on the board) immediately put the blame on Doyle because it couldn’t possibly be precious Duke. Doyle was moved to a new herd and Rocky would stay inside until he healed. All was well until a few days later, when I got a call from a friend, followed by texts full of pictures.

Duke had just nearly killed Eddy.

Eddy and Duke had just been turned out and my friend Anna had turned to walk back to the barn when she heard a commotion and saw Eddy high-tailing it for the barn with Duke hot on his heels. Kevin was right behind them. She let Eddy into the ring and tried to shut the gate before Duke got there, but he plowed through and cornered Eddy. He started biting and kicking and poor Eddy was struggling to fight back. Anna grabbed a lunge whip and tried to break them up, but even striking Duke didn’t stop the attack. Help arrived and somehow the two were separated and Eddy was pulled through the gate into the barn. But Duke wasn’t done yet. He rammed the panel and smashed it into Eddy’s side, where it broke off and stabbed him.

The vet was called out immediately and Anna flushed the wound with warm water. When the vet arrived he tried probing the wound with a Q-tip. And the whole thing went inside, plus some fingers. He wound up stitching muscle and skin back together. My friend Brittany had been working with Eddy too and came up to ride to find him holey and with a stint in his side for drainage. She sent me pictures and a mad phone call. I flew to the barn to help (No one had told me what happened despite me being his main trainer). Rocky’s adopter was called by a board member to say that it was Duke who attacked him.

Duke was hastily adopted (After complaints that his medical needs weren’t tended. One fucking bruise. Compared to a giant hole that is now a big and permanent dent in Eddy’s side). And just as hastily brought back after he attacked her leased gelding (And husband. No they aren’t the same). He’d been turned out alone since coming back to the rescue, with a few attempts to try and get him more social (One involved turning him out with the older lame boys and one with all mares and kick chains. That went well. And that’s sarcasm), but I guess they’re trying hard now to make him get along. So that’s where the text came in-they want me to update his bio so it no longer says ONLY HORSE IN THE PADDOCK to “Gee well I guess he’s okay with other horses. No big deal if he kills one. He’s just being too friendly!” I had to resist the urge to reply with “THAT’S AN ALTERNATIVE FACT!”

That being said, I have no desire to perpetuate that myth since he nearly killed MY horse. And if that costs me the job of running the website, then so be it. I’d rather have my integrity, thanks.

Eddy now-there’s an indent if you look exactly half way down his side. Harder to see with winter hair and fat but you can definitely feel it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s